According to a Limelight Networks survey of CMOs and VPs of Marketing, website globalization is emerging as both a strategic priority and a technical and logistical challenge for marketers.
The results show 92 percent of respondents currently manage regional sites along with a main site, with the remaining 8 percent planning to add regional sites within the next 12 months. Those companies with regional sites currently in place are deeply immersed in their globalization efforts: 84 percent have three or more regional sites in place, with 14 percent managing 21 or more. Companies with multiple regional sites are seeing the positive effects, as 91 percent saw moderate or significant improvement in site engagement, lead generation, or revenue after implementation of sites with regional content.
However, marketers are experiencing some challenges when setting up and managing regional sites that could prohibit growth. More the half (57 percent) of respondents reported the use of multiple platforms to manage multiple sites and content as the biggest obstacle they faced. Twenty-six percent noted a lack of human resources and budget to translate to local languages and 29 percent lack the technical resources to build and manage regional sites.
From a Globe Newswire press release, “The explosive growth of global online commerce and the ever more competitive worldwide landscape make it imperative for companies to expand and improve the globalization of their digital presence,” said Jeff Freund, VP and GM, Web Content Management, Limelight Networks. “Globalizing a web presence entails more than simply translating a company’s primary site – it also includes developing, deploying, localizing, and regularly maintaining sites with regionally-specific content. Marketers face the challenge of deploying multiple regional sites in multiple languages and featuring custom content that is unique to each region – while still ensuring brand consistency worldwide.”
Website globalization can provide huge growth opportunities relating to site engagement, lead generation, and revenue. Globalization of sites is expected to continue its growth in the upcoming year, but companies will to need find ways to overcome the challenges they currently face in order to achieve success.