June 12, 2011: Lee Odden of TopRank is kicking off a weekly content marketing series with “practical tips on tactics that marketers can use to complement their content-focused online marketing efforts.” We would recommend bookmarking the link above and tuning in periodically for updates, since it is definitely a topic important to our audience.
Good SEO partners want to be a part of the entire marketing mix. Our ability to improve search visibility can be tied both directly and indirectly to nearly every marketing initiative within the B2B organization. Search engine optimization is more than applying keywords to HTML titles and meta tag development.
- Offline and online marketing campaigns potentially benefit inbound link acquisition through direct link outreach and value-added, ongoing communication.
- New content may impact the cross-linking of important web pages and keyword development of primary, secondary, and long-tail opportunities.
- Web development has an impact on search visibility, keyword strategy, and the opportunity to acquire quality links.
21 B2B Marketing Initiatives Enhanced by SEO
Here is a short list of marketing initiatives (content and otherwise) an SEO team should be a part of and a few high level reasons why search engine optimization enhances each one.
- Home page redesign – keyword optimization, on-page SEO factors, potential link opportunities
- Website redesign and/or transition – On-site SEO best practices, keyword research and optimization, link acquisition
- Site usability audits – keyword research, on-page SEO factors
- Information architecture analysis – keyword research and optimization, on-site SEO best practices, keyword cross-linking
- White paper development – keyword research and development, link acquisition
- Conference and event participation and sponsorships – link acquisition, keyword development
- Live and ondemand webinars – link acquisition, keyword development
- Blog post development – link acquisition, keyword research, development, and optimization
- Blogger outreach – link acquisition
- Byline and article creation – keyword research and development, link acquisition
- Press releases – link acquisition and outreach, keyword cross-linking
- Videos and webcasts – link acquisition, keyword research, development, and optimization
- Product development – keyword research, development, and optimization
- New product launches – keyword research and development, link acquisition
- Microsite development – keyword optimization, on-page/on-site SEO best practices, link outreach
- Mobile site design and mobile applications – on-page/on-site SEO best practices, link outreach
- Strategic partnerships – link outreach and acquisition
- Social media profile creation – link outreach and acquisition
- Visual tutorials, graphics (infographics), and diagrams – keyword optimization, on-page/on-site SEO best practices, link outreach and acquisition
- Sales and marketing presentations – link acquisition, keyword research, development, and optimization
- Contests and promotions – link outreach and acquisition
In summary, SEO strategy enhances almost all B2B marketing initiatives, giving them greater impact in the long-term. In this sense, B2B marketers hopefully realize value in their strategies, at launch and over time, as these assets gain visibility in search engines.
Do you have additional examples and perspective? This list is just a start but the ideas could be endless; they just require a bit of creativity and proactive thinking. I would love to hear your feedback and thoughts via comments below.